Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Work for What You Love

I finally saw Eclipse today. While I was watching it though I couldn't help but think about what I'm about to write.
Women and girls have unrealistic expectations about men and relationships. We all want the perfect man. The man that television and movies have made us believe is out there and we just have to find him. That's the catch though, the guy that we see in the movies and the man that is perfect for us are two seperate men. What do we do though? We compare every man that want to have or have a relationship with, to our "perfect" movie man. We can't do that though. We're never going to find that Edward or Mr. Darcy because they're fictional. What we can find is the guy that is right for us. Our other half.
We aren't going to wake up one morning to a man on one knee proposing (Valentine's Day). What we can have is something that is just as great but not out of a movie scene. And that's ok. It's a great thing because it's your story to tell not one to compare to a movie. That's not how a lot of women think though. As a gender, we've grown up with prince charmings and knights in shining armor. The man that takes your breath away every time he speaks or walks into a room. The guy that knows EXACTLY what he is going to say when he is down on that knee and he doesn't stumble or get nervous at all. Secretly, that's what I want. Why shouldn't he be nervous and forget everything he had planned on saying? Why does he have to be that "perfect" movie man?
He doesn't. We need to stop wasting our time looking for the man that doesn't exist and realize how perfect the one in front of us really is. I realize that no one is truly perfect, trust me, but I think that there truly is a match for everyone. Some people have to search for him, but others he's her high school sweetheart. The guy she went to prom with and her best friend for years.
We have such a high divorce rate because we take the easy way out of our problems. We dont' try to work things out like we should. It's so easy to get a divorce. So instead of finding out what the root of your problems are, you just call it quits. That isn't right. It's the same with other relationships too. There is no real commitment there so there isn't really the incentive to work it out. To work through a few problems and find out that you really are meant to be together. Everyone has fights and issues. I think that over time those fights become less frequent. You just have to be willing to climb the mountain to get to the top. To see the sun and to get to start the hike down... together.
I don't want to be the type of person that just gives up anymore. I don't want to go crazy over a fictional character. I want a real relationship, with real problems. I want someone who is willing to work through those problems with me. I want someone to take my breath away at the right moments and not all of the time. I want someone who is just as scared as I about taking that next step, but is still willing to do it. I want my high school sweetheart and my best friend. I want to start climbing that mountain so that I can spend the rest of my life enjoying the view and hike down. I know who I want and he is not a fictional character. It just took a fictional character to make me realize all of this. To realize that I am not giving up and that I am willing to fight for what I believe in.
We can't have what doesn't exist, but we can't have what does exist as long as we are looking for that which doesn't exist. So never give up on love. Never think that he isn't out there. Instead think about what you really want and think if it is something that you truly want or something that television has made you think that you want. I want the problems and things to work through and every woman should be willing to work for what they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment