Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Distance

A year ago today, Jeff asked me if I would go out with him again. Without hesitation and without jokingly making him I was going to say no like the first time, I said yes. I had somewhat of an idea as to what I was getting into. I knew that I would go months at a time without seeing him. I also knew that he would go underway for months at a time and I would not be able to talk to him. I knew that a long distance relationship wouldn't be easy but it was something I was willing to do to be with him. I had never really stopped loving him, I hadn't been able to completely move on as much as I tried to make it seem as if I had.
The day after he asked me out he had to leave to go back to Florida. Our long distance relationship started May 13th, 2009, one day after our relationship began. I remember texting him pretty much his entire way there. The reality of what was to come hadn't set in yet. I was still in aw that we were dating again. It was only a few weeks later when I was able to visit him for the first time. I was so excited and nervous about going to Florida. I'd never been on a plane by myself before and couldn't sleep for a few days before leaving. I also had NO idea what to expect when I got down there. I knew that he had to work but I also knew that his schedule was different than usual and he would probably be getting home earlier than usual. I got to Florida safe and sound. We had the best 5 days ever. He took me to the beach, we ate out, oh yeah and he took me to my first Tiffany & Co. I even made him take my picture in front of it. Lol. Eventually I had to go home though.
A little while after that he got underway. It was my first one with him. I must admit that I was pretty much a wreck. I can't even tell you that he got easier, because it really didn't. The internet was spotty and our communication was lacking. So how did I deal with it? I watched The Guardian, over and over again. So many times that my family told me I wasn't allowed to watch it in the living room any more. For anyone that has never seen The Guardian it's a movie about the Coast Guard, rescue swimmers to be exact. He may not be an AST but he is CG. Oh and for anyone who doesn't know, Jeff is so close to getting orders for AMT 'A' school, that would be the guys hanging out of the helo door looking for survivors and such. Well, after an extended period of NO communication he was finally back in Florida.
That's basically how the next few months would go. He would come home, I would go see him, and he would get underway. Thankfully his second deployment was a lot easier for me to handle, just to let you know. Over the months we had plenty to talk about. He helped me through some hard times and really stolen my heart... again. As with any long distance relationship we've had our hard times. Times when a thousand miles seemed more like 5,000 miles. I've had my hard times with it. Times when I cried because it seemed so hard and he seemed so far away. There have been days when I wanted nothing more than to be in his arms. In the end, I just need a little (sometimes a lot of) reminding that we can do this and that he loves me. He's pretty good at reminding me how much he loves me. Sometimes I wish I was the same way for him.
I know that I can be a handful at times. I know that I can be overly emotional at times too. Jeff has stuck with me through it all. It's my turn now to be there for him. The coming months hold a lot of change for us. I haven't been accepting that change the best. He's going to be going underway, shortly after coming back he's going to EMT 'C' school (I'm very proud of him), hopefully as soon as that's over he'll be getting orders to the airman program (4 months long), which will be followed by AMT 'A' School (20 weeks long). I'm so very proud of him. I know that he is going to excel at school and get the pick that he wants. I know that I need to stay strong for him when the time comes and be patient with him when school interferes with our nightly conversations and what not. It will be really hard for me and it's not something that will happen overnight. But I know that with time and a little encouragement that I will be able to accept everything that this next year has in store for the both of us.
So, I may not get to see him when I want or nearly as often as I want but that's just part of it. It's part of a long distance relationship with someone in the military. Plans change and it's just something that you have to be prepared for. I've learned a lot about myself this past year, I've learned a lot about Jeff. I get my hopes up to easily and when something happens that breaks them, I take way to hard. I've learned that there isn't a person in this world that I would rather be with besides Jeff. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. That sometimes, I think I expect too much from Jeff and I need to learn to meet him in the middle more often. I've learned that Jeff probably has more patience with me than anyone else possible could. He knows exactly what to say to calm me down. We are a strong couple together. We made it through this last year and we can make it through anything.
Baby, we did it. We did something that so many thought wouldn't happen. We did something that many haven't been able to do. I had a great year, no matter what how it may seem. This year flew by and I hope that this next one goes just as fast. I can't wait to see you again. I don't even know if I'll recognize you skinny man. lol. No matter how long it may be though, I'll be here waiting for you. You're amazing. Thank you for all of your patience these last few weeks. I'm sure that you don't think that today is nearly as big of a deal as I am making it to be, but just bear with me. It's hard not being able to see you today to share this day with you. So just imagine that I'm there giving you the best back scratch you can think of. I love you and I know that you love me. I hope you had a great day and I'm sorry you didn't get your present today, don't try to get it out of me though because I'm already tempted to just tell you. Mwah.
Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment